Wednesday, March 20, 2013

How to Study Abroad Part 6: Getting There

(note, this was written in December 2012)

I could totally write this from the "I've been abroad so many times I have this whole thing down" perspective and it would be really helpful. Instead, I'm writing this from the "Oh my goodness I leave for GHANA in just over a month!!!" perspective.

Ummm what?

Ghana.

Africa.

Back to my favorite continent!

Dean Hanno runs a program every January in Ghana through which we will spend two weeks teaching entrepreneurship, learning about the culture, and hosting a business plan competition.

With that, and the many other people I've spoken to recently who are about to set off on their own global adventures, I figure I should talk about actually getting to the destination.

At this point, tickets have been booked, visas arranged (I got mine back today!), program fees paid, and classes taken. I am (you are) ready to set off on an amazing adventure!



  1. Don't leave packing to the absolute last minute; you will end up forgetting something important, like your passport. That being said, I typically pack the day before. But I make a list ~3 days before so I won't forget anything. This puts me in the travel mindset.
  2. Have someone bring you to the airport, and make sure they know your flight itinerary. It will give you that one last chance to say goodbye before jetting off for however long, and they can calm you down if you get emotional or whatever. They can also be more level headed and remind you to grab your passport as you rush out the door.
  3. Arrive earlier than recommended to the airport. Unless yours is the first flight out in the morning there will be a line of people. I have seen this at 6am and 7pm. It's unavoidable. Make sure to pack entertainment in your carry on for while you are on the airplane and waiting around in the airport. Or you can just wander around the airport for 7 hours on your layover, either way (I know from experience the latter is not optimal.
  4. Check in to your flight as soon as possible after arriving at the airport. Sometimes there are issues, delays, long lines, so getting this out of the way is good. Then if you have any extra time, find a strategic place to hang out. By strategic I mean centrally located, near food/entertainment/bathrooms, comfortable, and where you can monitor the security line from. That way if security starts to get long you can hop right in line.
  5. Give yourself plenty of time to get through security. There's almost always someone in line who causes some kind of problem even though they are completely innocent. Prepare for this. Especially because it could be you (I've been pulled aside during almost every single flight itinerary. Never for anything major, but it still makes the process longer).
  6. Find your gate and figure out when you'll be boarding. Then you can just hang out until it's time to board. There will be something near the terminal to entertain yourself with so just relax, make a new friend (don't be creepy about it), grab a bite to eat (it'll probably be more expensive, but if you're really that hungry go for it), peruse the magazine stands, people watch, etc.
  7. NEVER leave your baggage unattended. You're just inviting people to steal it if you do.
  8. If you can charge your devices that would also be a good idea. That way they work for as long as possible on the flight.
  9. Be back at your boarding gate with sufficient time to spare before you are supposed to board. Scope out the other passengers (you might just recognize someone! I've taken flights with people I know a number of times), and just be ready to go when your row is called. If you like to be on the plane early make sure to sit near the door. Otherwise, once your row is called wait for everyone else to get in line before joining.
  10. Scope out the plane, then sit back, relax, and get comfortable. It's going to be a long flight (I'm assuming wherever you are studying abroad is at least a few hour plane ride. Or more.) If there are open seats around you that you want to move to ask the flight attendant nicely (they really appreciate the niceness).
  11. Prepare for your new timezone. Now, this one, if you were good, you started to do a week BEFORE getting on the airplane. But in my hectic life I simply can't manage that.
  12. Instead, I bring my charged ipod with me and as soon as I can turn it back on after take off I set it to my arrival timezone. This way whenever I check the time on the airplane I am adjusting to the new time zone. After all, you lose track of how many hours have passed on the airplane pretty quickly anyways so merging them to say it's a different time isn't all that hard. I also plan ahead. 
  13. If I know I'm landing in the morning local time I drink coffee on the plane to help me get through the day. If I'm landing at night I wear myself out on the airplane to just before the point that I need to sleep. Then I crash when I get to where I'm going. I don't tend to sleep on planes much so this ends up working well for me.
  14. Make sure that you've prepared travel arrangements for your arrival ahead of time. It will be hectic and you will be exhausted when you get there so you don't want to figure it out then...especially if there is a language barrier.
For the first few days at least you will face a combination of culture shock and jet lag. These play off each other, so it will be important to know how to mitigate each. I'll start getting into that next time though. For now, safe travels wherever you are going!

No comments:

Post a Comment