Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The (never ending?) Job Search: Part 4!

As I returned from Ghana there were a few tasks I absolutely had to get done within the first, oh, week. Probably top priority was figuring out what I was going to do for a job.

While I was in Ghana I checked my email a couple time for notice from either CA or Braver but had not yet heard anything. This left me still in limbo when I returned. I was really kinda hoping at least one of them would have gotten back to me to make the decision easier for me upon return. But alas, life is not that way.

I did however get my official acceptance into Babson's MSA program.

As I'm going back and forth with my decision, still waiting to hear from CA, I use that as a major factor. IF I get the job at CA and take it that will mean I don't do the MSA. The deadline to for add/drop is a week after returning so I really do need to make the decision within the week.

So I start by sending a follow up email to CA, then I organize a phone call with someone at Braver. The phone call had been in the works before leaving, sort of us a way of buying time and also to get some of my questions answered that would be deciding factors.

What it came down to is this:

  • Everyone I interviewed with at smaller firms said people who leave end up going to non-accounting firms as their next step if they leave
  • Everyone I interviewed with at non-accounting firms had started at accounting firms then switched over
  • Everyone valued having a variety of experiences from the outset (in different industries, roles, etc.)
So then my two options would be
  • Go to Braver for the (highly valued) public accounting experience and get the MSA/CPA credentials quick
  • Go to CA for a rotation of accounting experiences and have the company pay for a Masters down the line
Now I know you (specifically MS) are sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for me to just say it, so here it goes:

(Insert dramatic pause here)

(Insert drum roll here)

Let's be real, there's no better way to get a Masters and I would much rather stay in Boston with the majority of my friends than go to Long Island. So Braver it is!

Want to know more about Braver? 

Here's the link to their website: http://www.thebravergroup.com/
And here's just an article about the company's CEO who happens to be a Babson alum: http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/print-edition/2013/02/22/bravers-ceo-sits-high-in-the-saddle.html?page=3

I'll start work there in about two weeks and as of right now am pretty excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment