Saturday, February 4, 2012

Barriers: Part 3

Jessica, Whitney, and I then took a walk into town. We went in and out of stores, and even ran into some of our friends from Stellenbosch (who happen to be Americans from a university in Georgia on a Rugby exchange program). It was nice to get the chance to explore town a bit, and distract ourselves from our hunger and thirst. But we had made it over half way through the day at this point and we weren’t going to give up.

By the time we got back we only had a couple more hours before it was time to break the fast. I spent this time watching and learning how some of the food is made. Here’s the approximate recipe I learned (it can be done to taste, and there was no measuring involved):

Chili Bites
Onion
Flour
Water
Turmeric
Salt
Spinach
Chili seasoning
Baking Powder
Other Spices
Oil

(I’m sure you can find a specific recipe online, but this is the basic idea)
Chop the onion pretty well, but not too fine (about ½ cm square). Coat in the flour (there should be enough to fully coat and have some left over. Mix in the turmeric, salt, spinach, chili seasoning, and other seasonings to taste. Stir in water enough to combine the mixture to about the consistency of a thin brownie batter (chunks are okay and expected; just think, there are onions in it after all). Add a dash or two of baking powder. Heat up the oil. When the oil is ready drop a spoonful of the mixture in and fry it until it is golden brown. Taste-test it; it should be about the consistency of a doughnut. Adjust the seasonings to taste, and then continue frying little balls until all of the batter is gone. Serve and enjoy!

Just before dinner the young children in the neighborhood (and Whitney, Jessica, and I from our families) delivered small treats to each of the other families on the street. This is a practice meant to ensure that everyone has food for Ramadan. Finally the fast was over and we sat down to yet an even larger feast, this time with pizza, and tomato on bread, more sweets, dates, soup, chili bites, cookies, and food. The men once again left for mosque, and after we once again had chicken, rice, bread, and salad. As we neared the end of the fast I really noticed how thirsty I was, but I was able to manage the hunger no problem. I am really glad I got to give it a try!

After another night of dominoes it was off to bed. I didn’t fast on Sunday since I was leaving at 3, and my house mom was more than happy to make me breakfast when I got up at 8:30. The girls and I got a tour of the neighborhood that afternoon; then it was time to say our goodbyes and come back to Stellenbosch.

No comments:

Post a Comment